Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hey Baby

You may not realize it, but spring is in the air. Actually, spring was in the air weeks ago when I first started exchanging hoots with the gorgeous wild Great Horned Owl that perches in the tree outside my cage. It's very Romeo and Juliet, except that I (Juliet) am only flirting and leading the handsome fella on. But I can't help myself--his hoots are so deep and resonant. Still, he'll be pretty surprised the day he comes down for a visit and realizes where I live.

It's not just me in a lovin' mood right now. The old Red-Tailed Hawk nest on the property is being taken over by a nesting pair of Great Horned Owls, and they're hooting up a storm every night. It's all "Hey baby" this and "Hey Baby" that. Even a couple of Great Horned in recovery cages are cozying up to each other and hooting sweet nothings in each others' ears.

Yes indeed, spring is in the air, and it's at least two weeks early. That means, of course, that what the Humans refer to as "Baby Season" is just around the corner. Then the orphans and other youngins start pouring through the doors, and the busy time of year is officially kicked off.

I can't tell what exactly the Humans think about this. On one hand they seem unenthusiastic, like they're already anticipating all the work that goes into raising raptor chicks without imprinting them. But sometime they seem excited, and I definitely overheard someone mention "the way baby owls smell" with a touch of longing in her voice.

Any way you slice it, there will be babies here at the RMRP sooner than later. And as a foster mom myself, I can assure you that some interesting stories and fun pictures will definitely be coming down the line.  I'll be sure to let you know the moment our first babies come through the door!

No comments:

Post a Comment