Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Q&A: How to Deal with Chicks

Q: One of my readers, a young male Human, wrote in the other day with this question:  "You said in a recent post that I could ask you any question, even non-bird-related ones, so here goes nothing: I just can't understand chicks! How am I supposed to deal with them? Do you have any tips?"

A: An excellent question, and you couldn't ask a better Owl! Chicks are my specialty! Although I must admit, I'm confused that you think this question isn't bird related. I have a lot of advice regarding chicks, but I condensed it to five easy-to-remember points for this post.

1. Watch your manners: When I spend a lot of time around chicks, I tend to overeat--I swear sometimes I think the only thing we do together is eat!  And I know I should be polite and let them eat first before I dig into my meal, but sometimes the temptation is too much.  Then they get mad and glare at me over dinner. It's too stressful for me, so my recommendation is to always let the chick eat first.

2. Don't worry about impressing them: They already think you're the coolest thing in the world just because you want to spend time with them. Everything else will come naturally--dealing with chicks is instinctive.

3. Be a good role-model: An important thing to remember when you're spending time with chicks is that they are very impressionable. Since you want to have the best chicks of all, make sure you act extra tough around them. Lots of posturing and aggression. They'll eat it up!

4. Try not to take it personally: Often times the chicks that used to adore you suddenly stop paying attention to you. It's because they outgrow you when it's time for them to move on.  It hurts a lot when this happens, but try to remember that it's just part of dealing with chicks in the first place--try not to take it personally. You'll meet more chicks soon.

5. Presents: Who doesn't love a present? If you're still unsure whether or not your chick is happy, give her a mouse. Chicks dig mice.


I hope that helps, young male Human! Thanks for writing in with your question! Remember everyone, my email is talonsofdoom@gmail.com, and I answer any question you can throw at me, bird-related or not!  Another reminder, if you haven't yet subscribed to this blog you can just enter your email in the box on the right side of the main page.  Then you'll receive an email whenever I post something.  It takes a few days for the subscription to kick in, though, so check back for a little while!

No comments:

Post a Comment