Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Why do I Volunteer?

In 2009 at the Annual Rocky Mountain Raptor Auction, as we were eating dinner, my friend, said, "why don't you join, this would be right up your alley".  So I went to the volunteer meeting and the rest is history.  It has been 5 years of excitement, knowledge, meeting new friends, learning how to gut animals and not let it bother me and handling our magnificent birds.  The birds have effected me spiritually and emotionally.  Even though they are wild and don't particularly like us, you can't help get attached.  I think sometimes I have a favorite bird, but it all comes down to I love them all and their special attitudes.


When I was an E1 trainee, it was time to get Swainson's Hawk Female out to feed and weigh.  Jean was my trainer, we went in together, and SWHAF was very patient with me.  Jessing and so on went well, but once on my fist, I took a step backwards into a log and fell on my butt.  I made certain to keep my left arm up in the air, she never moved.  I was astounded.

Cynthia
RMRP Volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment